Monday, 17 March 2014

Press Play and Read


In this journal entry I will be exploring the concept that Zizek mentioned in the first video watched in class, he was discussing how balance does not sustain the world but catastrophe is where things emerge. Although I had never looked at catastrophe in this sort of light the more I reflect upon that statement the more it seems to resonate with me. Of course I would never want to inflict catastrophe on anyone but Balance does not foster innovation, the way that catastrophe does. Balance simply does not push us as humans to surpass our limits. Catastrophe challenges our system our problem solving skills and overall development. I think that catastrophe brings about new opportunities and although an apocalypse may bring death and misery to many it may bring about new opportunities as well. This slide show signifies catastrophe quite obviously through floods, hurricanes, alien invasion, asteroids, zombies etc. However the music is where these opportunities are portrayed. I choose the music for one very specific reason, because the ominous soundtrack to me has some grain of hope of positivity within the score, maybe even peacefulness. The music represents the eye to storm to me, I found it fitting, to my idea of an apocalypse.

I think so many people are so fascinated by the concept of an apocalypse  because these virtually fabricated visuals spark people’s own fear of death and destruction. These are imaginary paradigms, fantasy, but because it literally hits so close to home it creates this sort of inner pandemonium. Stirs this unimaginable fear, but I have never been drawn to this genre.  Maybe because I have somehow never been one to fear death, this may seem like an ignorant thing to say but I have done my fare share of risky things. I have free climbed off of cliffs in the Grand Canyon, solo trekked in the Himalaya mountain range, worked in slums of India and never did I ever stop and think this may be the end of me. Sure it is important to make safe choices but in the end, for me if you don’t take a chance and try and push yourself to do things outside of your comfort zone I don’t see the point of living. This “capitalism” pre destined path is simply not for me. I need to be stimulated by things that challenge me and things that are unique and different…or at least that’s what I thought. Once again when reflecting on an other of Zizek’s philosophies of the “freedom of choice” horizon or spectrum set by capitalism. Everything is set for you everything is pre determined and perhaps that’s what scares me the most, more than death. Just thinking about my lack of choices now makes me feel trapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment